Monday, August 17, 2015

Summer Reading: ADHD & Me

Hi teacher friends! I'm sure your summer has been somewhat like mine ... a lot of relaxing and playing mixed with a little reading, working, and creating. My husband just can't understand why I choose to work on my "time off". How do you explain that there are still things that need to be prepared and completed for the next school year? #teacherproblems

Anyway, I wanted introduce you to a book that I recently read that was SO needed! It's called ADHD & me - What I learned from lighting fires at the dinner table, by Blake e. s. Taylor. Here's the cover along with a photo of Blake and his mother:



Blake wrote this book his last 2 years of high school. Each chapter is a different characteristic that is common in children with ADHD, such as distracted, impulsive, disorganized, hyperactive, etc. Within each chapter, Blake tells a story from some point in his life but explains it from the perspective of the child with ADHD. He tells stories from when he was in elementary school all the way through 10th grade.

As a 2nd grade teacher (and a mother of a child with ADHD), I found this to be an amazing resource! It's often difficult for a young child to explain his or her thinking after doing something impulsive or even who s/he is feeling after making a poor choice. Blake's stories really give insight into the brains of these young children.

If you're looking for a quick and easy read by the pool, I highly recommend this book ... maybe while sipping a margarita?

No comments :

Post a Comment